Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A long time coming....

Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, how many different places can one person keep up with? I have decided that I am going to start blogging again but I am going to use it for different reasons than what I do Facebook. In this blog I will share more things that I am going through in life and a lot of what is going on with myself just in more detail. I will link my blog from my facebook and any of my friends are welcome to follow along.

For instance....I have been struggling with self confidence for a long time. Most of the time this has been because of my weight. I usually can play it off well and people are surprised when I tell them that I am a shy person. It is not so much that I am shy as much as it is I figure people are judging me for how I allowed myself to get out of shape.

I have always wanted to do something about it but could never seem to make it happen. I was not discipline enough or guess I really never had the desire even though I thought that I did.

The last few years I have taken some trips and have wanted to do certain things but was not able to because I exceeded their weight limits. That was embarassing to me but of course I was able to keep that to myself. I also looked at some pictures of myself from last year and realized I was bigger than I ever had been, it literally made me sick.

All along I knew that is not who I was. I have always wanted to be an active person and doing things outdoors and being adventuresome. Things like snow skiing, water sports and many other sports.

I decided I was going to do something about it but was not going to really publicize it as a New Years Resolution, I believe they set you up to fail. I just wanted to change my life and the way I live it and then let people just see the difference.

Today I don't see the difference so much as I look at myself but I can certainly tell it in the way my clothes fit. People are really commenting on how much I have changed and it is a nice feeling to see people that I have not seen in years and they are blown away.

I am not where I want to be yet, but I am going to get there. Since Jan 14th of this year I have now officially lost 60 pounds and it feels really good. I am able to do things at the gym that I would not have thought were possible 9 months ago. It has become a part of my life and just one of the things that I do rather than a chore or something that I have to force myself to do. I just know that each night the gym is a part of my life.

So far this has been an awesome adventure and I cannot wait to reach my final goal. It is exciting to me that I can actually conceive being where I want to be now. 9 months ago I could not have even imagined it.

So there is a little about me and what my year has been about these first 9 months. I am sure I will blog on many other topics as time goes on. You can look through my archives if you want to and see other things I have blogged about or you can just wait and see what lies ahead. Heck I might even start tweeting if I can figure out a purpose with it.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm really proud of you Dan! Hope it goes well, and you continue to take care of you. I am also trying to make some changes in the health arena. I look forward to reading your posts. I have not blogged since Nov. of 2005! Take care!

John said...

Way to go. Keep it up.

Elizabeth said...

I have never "blogged!" I can relate to most of what you said! Since I have moved into a new apartment I very much look forward to being able to get outside and walk! For the last 5 years where I lived it wasn't really very safe to go walking and that has really regressed the progress I was making. Excercise is an important part of the picture for sure. I too have been looking at some pictures I didn't like very much recently myself. Vicky may get a Wii, that would help some too! I was just telling Vicky on sunday that you either spend the money on the healthier variety of foods or end up paying it out in healthcare later on probably. Of course being diabetic taking care of yourself becomes even more important. You are an inspiration and I am proud of you! By the way, I think you looked really good when I saw you this summer! Keep up the good work......there is nothing like keeping yourself healthy! I look forward to your future blogs......it kind of reduces the many miles between us!

Anonymous said...

I'm really proud of what you have done and know that it's the motivator for you to keep going. Whatever the ultimate goal is you now have the confidence to achieve it....so keep up the good work. Can't wait for more blogs and more progress. LY...C

Susan said...

Good job! You're doing GREAT...you know I'm one of your biggest fans!