Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Starting Over

I am sure you have gathered from my recent blogs and from my facebook, if you are one of my friends, that this has been a year of change for me. I have been working really hard to lose weight and become more healthy.

The very first obvious thing for me was to begin some sort of exercise program. On Jan 14th of this year, I did just that. I started going 5 days a week to the gym basically walking on the treadmill, riding the bike or using the elliptical (which I hate). Two days of each week I worked out with a personal trainer which meant in addition to the cardio we added in weight training too. It has been awesome, I have loved every minute of it.

The second thing I needed to do was learn to eat better. The fastest and easiest thing for me was to cut out fast food, fried food, make better choices in the things that I could eat, learn portion control and also cut out soda. So I managed to do this as well. I sort of became the new Jared, Subway has become a regular for me. It is convenient, with good choices and easy for me to keep track of what I am eating and how many calories I consume. Other regulars for me are grilled chicken, fruit and raw vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots).

This is where the starting over comes in...those three raw vegetables are really the only vegetables that I eat. If you must know the truth, I hate most vegetables, especially cooked. But I want to learn to branch out and try more things. I have started doing this but not nearly as much as I would like. I did try eating more in my salads recently I included tomatoes and cucumbers in a salad for myself. This was a big step for me. In fact I think the moment my sister heard that I had eaten tomatoes, my phone rang immediately.

With many vegetables I find them so repulsing that the last time I remember eating them it was almost to the point of making me gag I could not stand them so much. I find that anything cooked so much that it becomes mushy is not going to be something that I will like. I am inclined to believe I need to stick with steamed or roasted veggies.

So I am looking for ideas of different things I can try. If you are taking the time to read this, give me some ideas of something you like that you think I may like as well. If I get any ideas and can figure out how to prepare it or where to get it I will share back how it went. It is funny but I feel like I am 41 years old and learning to eat all over again. Wonder if I can do a better job of it this time?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

D,
Keep on, Keepin' on! It seems that our "Taste Sense" changes as we grow older. I now eat a lot of things that I could not, or would not, in my younger years.

I even like Squash & Onions sauteed together.

Love Ya'!
Dad

Susan said...

Hey! I already told you about the roasted broccoli...but I also like to roast sweet peas and green beans (fresh ones). I put garlic on it and a little bit of olive oil spray then roast it for 20 mins. in the oven at about 400. You need to stir it once in between. I love it and so do the boys.

Love,

Your Sister (who also HATES mushy veggies--and still can't believe you ate a tomato!)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.